Licensure in Oregon

The following information was updated by ORABA on August 2017.

  • What are Oregon's licensure laws regarding ABA?

    As of January 2015, Oregon requires ABA practitioners who are billing insurance for ABA services to hold a license to receive reimbursement. ABA practitioners who are certified through the Behavior Analysis Certification Board (BACB) (BCBAs and BCaBAs) can apply for licensure to become Licensed Behavior Analysts (LBAs) or Licensed Assistant Behavior Analysts (LABAs) through the Behavior Analysis Regulatory Board housed within the Oregon Health Authority’s Health Licensing Office (HLO.) Non-certified interventionists or Registered Behavior Technicians (RBTs) need to apply to become Registered Behavior Analysis Interventionists (RBAIs) via the HLO.
  • How do I learn more about Oregon licensure?

    Visit the Behavior Analysis Regulatory Board (BARB) for up-to-date information about licensure.
  • How do I become licensed or registered with the state as an LBA, LABA or RBAI

    The licensing forms and information described below are available from the HLO forms page

    1. If you are already a Board-Certified Behavior Analyst or Assistant Behavior Analyst (BCBA or BCaBA), you will need to submit your fingerprints via a LiveScan operator for a background check, submit an application, and pay a fee to the HLO. If you do not have board certification and are interested in pursuing one, you can find more information from the Behavior Analysis Certification Board (BACB).
    2.  If you are an interventionist or RBT 18 years or older, you will either need to undergo 40 hours of ABA training to meet BARB’s Interventionist ABA Skills List or have a current Licensed Behavior Analyst attest that you have done so already. Then, you will need to submit your fingerprints via a LiveScan operator for a background check, submit an application with proof of current education requirements (revised as of 7/28/17 to include either a high school diploma or General Educational Development (GED) certificate or a degree from a post-secondary institution), proof of age, and pay a fee to the Oregon HLO. You will also need to identify a supervisor, sign a supervision agreement, and begin to fulfill RBAI supervision requirements.
  • How do I check if my provider is licensed by the state?

    You can check licensing status on the Oregon Health Licensing Office search page. Choose “ABA” from the “Board” dropdown menu. 
  • Where can I get my fingerprints taken?

    Here are some places people have gotten them taken quickly: Washington County Sheriff Department in Hillsboro, Clackamas Police Department, Fingerprinting Services & Investigations in downtown Portland